Hillary and Sarah

Nate was doubting when I told him I considered myself a feminist. I think everyone should be a feminist. Wikipedia says: "Feminism is defined as the belief of the political, social, and economic equality of women." Wouldn't only a crazy person be against such ideals? Crazy meaning sexist. Which brings me to an op-ed I read in the LA Times:
The second wave of American feminism is now in a period of quietude, even of setback. After nearly 40 years of noisy activity on behalf of women's rights, a large part of the country thinks the revolution's been won, another large part thinks what feminists have accomplished amounts to a drop in the bucket, and yet a third part remains irredeemably opposed to feminist values. Such an extraordinary division of viewpoint indicates that whatever the gains for women have been, they are by no means indisputable, much less guaranteed a lasting life.

Comments

Popular Posts