The Downside of Pants and Dresses

I really, really want a nice kimono, but they're so expensive... Despite the cost, the silk is virtually made in China these days and there are apparently only three master silk weavers in Japan. Not that I could ever hope to buy the type of kimono mentioned in the article.
The article is slightly misleading, though, inferring that all kimonos were once made of Japanese silk my weavers in Kyoto. My friend from Amami Oshima got married in a gorgeous traditional fabric made on the island. It was terribly, terribly expensive, though.
She told me that tradition dictated that her family give the bride and groom approximately $20,000 (if I remember correctly). Most of that money was used to make the bride and groom kimonos (worn only for 20-30 minutes at the wedding reception, as she had two other dresses to wear, as well).
For now, looks like I'll keep (start?) hitting the bargain bins, too.

Comments

Popular Posts