Bike 'N
Biking in style makes it to the NYT. I'm really into articles and blogs about biking chic. Including a white suit in a fashion feature about biking is completely absurd, however. Even with fenders and chain guards you're still going to get a little dirty if you're anything like me. And who would bike around town in a $1000 suit? Sigh. While I love that this made it to the paper, I will mention that I'm getting really tired of all the love and obsession I'm seeing around for Dutch bikes and Dutch biking culture. Yes, it's great. Yes, the bikes are great. Yes, I wish biking was a more integral part of North American culture. Yes, I wish it was a little flatter here. But do people not realize that folks ride similar bikes in Asia, too? One of the best things I've seen was in Thailand--a special seat that fits a regular bike that seats two very comfortably. Enough of the Euro-love! Let's look beyond just Northern Europe for inspiration. Check out this Gucci (yes, Euro brand) bike and accessories available only in China and Hong Kong for last year's Olympics. And this Asian cargo bike.

I realized I only took a photo of a motorbike loaded down, but it's still along the same lines of utility on two wheels.
And for a little more hatin': I love reading the NYT but their insane interpretation of reality is driving me nuts lately. I'm thinking specifically of this article about a woman getting $80k a year to take a year's sabbatical.
I realized I only took a photo of a motorbike loaded down, but it's still along the same lines of utility on two wheels.
And for a little more hatin': I love reading the NYT but their insane interpretation of reality is driving me nuts lately. I'm thinking specifically of this article about a woman getting $80k a year to take a year's sabbatical.
You think that's bad? Try living over here.
ReplyDeleteUgh this place drives me crazy. Time to go home. (soon as the visa comes thru!)
But the schnitzel! Doesn't that count for something?
ReplyDeleteLike you said, enough with the Euro-love!
ReplyDeletePeople eat similar breaded pork cutlets in Asia, too!
Mmm. Tonkatsu...
ReplyDeletemmm... gyoza fist...
ReplyDeleteoops, I mean mmm... tonkatsu
Remember that tonkatsu place that we went to near your house in Kyushu? Maybe I'm romanticizing, but I think it was one of the best I've had; they had delicious sauce. Though I went to a place called Katsukura in Tokyo recently, it was pretty good too.