She said, "He killed himself." But she forgot a couple words...

According to one of my JTEs, one of my junior high students tried to kill himself on Friday. He didn't show up for school in the morning so his homeroom teacher called his house, but his parents said he'd gone to school. I guess they found him somewhere around 6pm and took him to the hospital. He slit his left wrist (only one) and she said he was in surgery for three hours. He was at school yesterday and today, and the bandage just looks like he broke his wrist or something. The kids at school supposedly don't know about his suicide attempt. My JTE said Hiroki said that if he died it was his fate, and if he lived that was his fate. I guess he's meant to live...
I thought he seemed kind of depressed this year. His only real friend graduated last year and he doesn't really talk to other kids except the wheelchair boy who sometimes follows him around (He said nobody understands him. Probably trueish, since we live in such a small, country town). His English work that was once somewhat decent and turned in on time ceased to exist.
There's not much I can do/could've done, but I'm slightly surprised nobody noticed him pulling away. And I really hope his parents or somebody is setting him up with a professional therapist or something. My JTE didn't seem to think he'd seen anyone yet. Poor kid. I talked to him during afternoon breaktime since he was alone, but he had a hard time answering my questions about what Okinawan music he likes and about tennis. Maybe it just takes him a while to get used to people. I wish I could actually help him, but I don't think there's much I can do, what with my language skills and role at school.

Comments

Popular Posts