Doughnuts/Donuts
Sometimes I think about donuts. I think about the different varieties and thinking about donuts makes me hungry. I want to like Dunkin Donuts best because of the iconic commercials of the '80s. I want to like donuts more than I actually do. They look so delicious. The concept of donuts is fabulous--fried sweetness, often with frosting or cream of some sort. The truth of the matter, however, is that donuts disappoint me. They look scrumptious, but they don't hold up so well to the hype when I eat them. The only time I don't remember being disappointed is when I eat the grocery store French crullers my mom buys (I don't understand either). Actually, that's just a little more dramatic than the truth. I do really enjoy and miss the pon-de-ring donuts they have at Mr. Donut in Japan. Their standard donuts are not that great, I find, although they are very, very popular. The pon-de-ring donuts, however, are made with mochi flour and are thus chewy and have the most amazing texture.
I am not saying I hate donuts, or that I haven't enjoyed them. However, I do find them misleading and therefore disappointing. In theory, I would love to eat donuts every day. In practice, twice a year would do--if only to satisfy my curiosity about their beauty and pop-culture status. I will keep hoping for that special donut.
I doubt that day will come--I think I've just never been a huge fan of deep-fried foods (or is that poorly fried foods?). As a child I could barely eat one donut when everyone else had tons (and I felt mildly disappointed by that). I also remember that the mere idea of chicken-fried steak got me feeling nauseous (all that grease clogging up my throat? Ick.). Remember that time when we went to the Mason Jar, Dad? I didn't get why anybody would want to eat deep-fried steak. Kentucky Fried Chicken? Forget it. I just ate the sides (I loved the sides). As an adult, I do like good-quality chicken fried steak, and I love Japanese-style fried chicken. I don't, however, usually care for western-style fried chicken. It's just too greasy, too often. I will keep waiting for that special chicken to come into my life, too. Someday that day will come.
I am not saying I hate donuts, or that I haven't enjoyed them. However, I do find them misleading and therefore disappointing. In theory, I would love to eat donuts every day. In practice, twice a year would do--if only to satisfy my curiosity about their beauty and pop-culture status. I will keep hoping for that special donut.
I doubt that day will come--I think I've just never been a huge fan of deep-fried foods (or is that poorly fried foods?). As a child I could barely eat one donut when everyone else had tons (and I felt mildly disappointed by that). I also remember that the mere idea of chicken-fried steak got me feeling nauseous (all that grease clogging up my throat? Ick.). Remember that time when we went to the Mason Jar, Dad? I didn't get why anybody would want to eat deep-fried steak. Kentucky Fried Chicken? Forget it. I just ate the sides (I loved the sides). As an adult, I do like good-quality chicken fried steak, and I love Japanese-style fried chicken. I don't, however, usually care for western-style fried chicken. It's just too greasy, too often. I will keep waiting for that special chicken to come into my life, too. Someday that day will come.
Yes, Malia, I do remember when we went to the Mason Jar. Greasy food lubricates the joints.
ReplyDelete