Crumbled Bridge



In early July I went back to southern Kyushu to visit friends before Nate and I left Japan. I had a really wonderful time. It was even better than I had anticipated, too. I think I was lucky to have lived in such a small town because everyone I met remembered me (even if they needed a quick memory jog on the phone) and was so happy to see me. I also realized I'd made more good friends there than I had been aware of when I lived there. I can't wait to go back.
Above are the remnants of the narrow, one lane bridge I used to take as a shortcut through town sometimes. I drove down this way from "downtown" to cut over to my old apartment, but had to turn around. I was told that the bridge was washed away by high waters last year or so. I wonder if it will ever get repaired as the rural areas are receiving less federal money due to misuse of funds nationwide and related scandals.

Comments

Popular Posts