Puddin Puddin

Wow. The drama that's currently on is taking place in Miyazaki. Hey, it's the airport. I'll be there next week! We have a three-day weekend Oct. 11-13 so I'm using my birthday discount and flying out to see Nate. He's at Tsukuba Daigaku, just North of Tokyo. I'm very much looking forward to it.
They're frying avocado bits on this cooking show now. Why????
Avocado omelette. Yeesh.
Anyway, I've been away all week. Monday morning I finally got to sleep in a bit (not that it allowed me extra sleep since I've got the bad habit of staying up really late for no reason). Then I went and got my paycheck from one of the bookkeeper ladies who happened to be at the town hall--it's just down the street from my house. I told her I think my car is slowly dying and that if I stay more than a year (I'd like to) maybe I should invest in a different one. She told me her husband would take a look at it, hopefully this week, since he's a mechanic. My car is a black, Daihatsu Mira kei car. That means it's smaller than my little red Accord was. It's got more of the tin-can feel to it, too. And it really doesn't like going up hills. Which means 40kph going uphill. I took it on the expressway to Sendai (the other side of the prefecture), though, and it did really well. I don't know what's wrong with it. Sometimes the engine keeps going after I turn off the ignition. Whenever I mention my car's tempermentalness to my supervisor he just chuckles. I think it's funny he finds it so amusing. And no, my supervisor's not in charge of helping me with the car. The office bookkeeper helps me. She does everything for me, really. She spent a while trying to get me the cheapest fare possible to Tokyo, etc.

I spent last Monday through Friday at a Japanese language and culture course at a center in the middle of nowhere--Kapic: Kagoshima Asia Pacific Intercultural Countryside Center. It was a really fun time. A combination of summer camp and dorm life. We had language class in the morning from 9-12, then we had culture stuff in the afternoon. Tuesday was Kagoshima history. That was interesting, but not quite informative enough for my liking. And I wish the guy had had pictures. Oh well. His English was really good, though. I think he's obsessed with England, actually. His YSL shirt was monogrammed with his intials on a really weird part of his sleeve.
Wednesday was tea ceremony. I really enjoyed that, although I don't think I'd like to join a tea ceremony club. It's way too painful to sit seiza for more than a couple minutes. Thursday we made Japanese paper. We were supposed to cover a basket (which was made by some old lady) with the paper. Mine turned out the ugliest of everyone's. So afterwards I took the paper off. But I still think the paper guy was horrified. Especially since he said it took two weeks to prepare the pulp and stuff. Oops. Friday we had to give speeches at the closing ceremony. Mine was some terrible story about potatoes and pirates. Nobody found it particularly entertaining. Oh well.
Friday afternoon, after the thing was over, Noele and I went to Miyakonojo and I finally got done a lot of the shopping I've been wanting to do. I bought two bookcases for only 780 yen each. And I finally have some books to organize a lot of my papers. My apartment's been in dire need of bookcases and places to put papers. It's still not okay. After shopping we went to this little restaurant by Noele's house in Iwagawa. The food was pretty good. When we walked in everyone there seemed very shocked as I think only regulars go there. Unfortunately, a couple of the old guys came over to talk to us. They were pretty drunk and while one of them was simply not very interesting to talk to, the other one was horribly lewd and made some very inappropriate comments about doing "perverted" things.
Yesterday I had my elementary school sports day, which was really fun. But, afterwards I went to a drinking party with some PTA members and some random guys from my neighborhood (the tofu guy, the policeman, others). That part was okay. They were impressed that I like shochu. Actually, I think it's great, but only with hot water. It's much better than sake. Anyway, after a while a couple of the ojisans took me to Ma-shuu's principal's house. There were only a few women there, but they were all in the kitchen. The rest of the house was packed with drunk guys between 35 and 75. Maybe this one guy was in his late twenties. He is the brother of one of the guys I work with at the BOE. The guy I work with is really into running and he won all the events at sports day that he was in. He's a really nice guy and very helpful. His dog is named Michael Jackson.
Anyway, his brother was wasted. He was climbing the joists in the room we were in and took his shirt off to do body builder poses. I told him to pose for a photo but he thought it would be better if he showed me his purple underwear-clad butt instead. Thanks. His friend wanted to do muscle poses for us all, too, so the friend took off his shirt then the guy pulled off his pants and tried to pull of his underwear, too. These guys are around thirty, but that seems a bit old to still be doing stupid stuff like that. Later, purple underwear guy stuck a box of tissues down his pants so that he could pull tissues out the fly. Which was pretty funny, actually. I preferred his shenanigans to the principal sitting way too close to me and completely invading my personal space. I was talking to my OL today and I told her there were lots of weird old guys at the drinking party and she immediately knew I was referencing their sekuhara tendencies. Great. Good thing I might be going to a karate class on Friday.

Comments

Popular Posts