Chester Brown

A few weeks ago celebrated Canadian graphic novelist Chester Brown was in town to promote his new book Paying for It. He read a good portion of the book to us, showing the panels on the screen and reading the dialogue (some of which was blanked out to add to the suspense). He spent five years writing and drawing the book which talks about his experiences paying for sex. I highly recommend it--it is thought-provoking and I found it highly entertaining. It certainly brought me to challenge some of my previously held thoughts and re-evaluate my beliefs on the topic. How often do read enjoyable material with such an effect? Not often enough!

Check out our buddy-buddy picture:



I also challenged Chester to a kangaroo-boxing fight:




More about Chester and his books:

He is most well-known for his retelling of Louis Riel's story.

Check out the rest of his body of work.

Read a quick review in the Guardian, or this article in the National Post that is a little longer. (The Globe and Mail articles are not my cup of tea and have spoilers so I'm not linking to them). Consider also this nice interview in the Georgia Straight, but know that it has a spoilers, too.

Comments

  1. You could make a good montage of you fighting celebrities. I think you've got Jian in a headlock, George up against the wall, and now you're duking it out with Chester. You have a consistent violent streak!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

You know you have something to say!

Popular Posts