Day 3
11:30. Red Marquee. Stella Starr*. Only walked by but sounded great for a bit, then the singer's voice got crappy. Anyone ever listened to them?
?. ?. サルサガムテープ (Salsa gum tape=> salsa duct tape). Only caught the last song, but it was hilarious! The band was made up of 15-20 people wearing funny costumes. There was a lost-looking Down's Syndrome girl in silvere spangles, a guy in a white, hooded, head-to-toe spandex bodysuit dressed like an alien among others... I think some of them are mentally challenged and this is some kind of volunteer thing/therapy type activity. Maybe not. Anyway the song went like this: フライドチキン!一本、二本、三本、… (Fried chicken! One piece, two pieces, three pieces,...). Over and over again, but not in a bad way like Lou Reed's songs. Sorry we missed more of their show.
12:50. ?. South. Walked past. They sound like they have potential. I've seen their name on loads of concert fliers back home, but that's about the extent of my exposure. Can anyone verify good/bad?
13:40. Field of Heaven. ハナレグミ(hanaregumi). I've seen him before on Wowow and he sounded okay, like he had a bit of promise. He has thick black, plastic frame glasses and wears those tiny fedoras like Bruce Willis. Hanaregumi's fast songs are pretty good, but the slow ones become especially repetitious and monotonous. Which is not helped by intensely simple lyrics. Granted, that means I can understand what he's saying, but there doesn't seem to be real depth to his songs. I did see him walking around after the show, which is always cool. I think I remember he ordered yakisoba from the solar-powered food booth. He was nice and fairly friendly to his fans, which is always good.
14:20. ?. Múm. Very weird. Very experimental. They're great background music, but not active enough for a stage show. The songs progress slowly and the band members don't really do anything so there is little to stimulate the concert-goer either aurally or visually (esp. on an outdoor stage at 2pm with no chairs, etc. when it's pretty hot out). But I do like them! I just don't think they're cut out for arena tours or whatever. A club with chairs and tables and drinks would be fine.
15:40. Green Stage. The Libertines. Went to see them because Nate went last year and recommended them. But, honestly, I found them so-so. They were rockin', yeah, but I wasn't feeling it. Nothing distinctive or particularly interesting or catchy here. Apparently I thought the guitarist was hot.. Heard them on the radio last week, and I still wasn't sold.
17:20. ? stage. !!! (My preferred pronunciation being "meow meow meow"). The orange-haired guy apologized as he'd just woken up shortly before. But he did have a cup of coffee... They were fabulous! They're great dance music. I'd go to clubs to dance if they played live music like this. Slightly experimental and often very amusing with lyrics like, "Shit, scheisse, merde!" Very fun.
19:10. Green Stage. The White Stripes. I enjoyed them, despite feeling sketchy about seeing them. Jack White definitely had gained some weight! But very rockin'. The highlight was their cover of "Jolene." You know how Jack's doing/did that collaborative work with Loretta Lynn... I have never heard the original version, but this was very expressibe and interesting version that I'd like to hear again.
We had to leave immmediately after the White Stripes to catch a train back to Kyoto so we could make it to classes the next morning (we skipped on Friday), so we missed a couple shows I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to see. We missed the second Belle and Sebastian show, the second !!! show, and the Morrissey show.
BUT!!!!, turns out Morrissey had actually cancelled for Morrissey reasons and it was actually a Morrissey impersonator (wtf!). I saw him from the window of the shuttle bus, and he was wearing red and white and went onstage a bit early. How weird that they'd get an impersonator! Morrissey was still listed on all the schedules as playing (I guess not the internet, though, as I've heard).
Overall, I had a great time. Would bring my waist pack next time, as backpack got a little sore. We ate so many peanut butter sandwiches it was ridiculous. And there were tons of people and tons of mud, as expected of any music festival. Depending on the lineup, highly recommended!
?. ?. サルサガムテープ (Salsa gum tape=> salsa duct tape). Only caught the last song, but it was hilarious! The band was made up of 15-20 people wearing funny costumes. There was a lost-looking Down's Syndrome girl in silvere spangles, a guy in a white, hooded, head-to-toe spandex bodysuit dressed like an alien among others... I think some of them are mentally challenged and this is some kind of volunteer thing/therapy type activity. Maybe not. Anyway the song went like this: フライドチキン!一本、二本、三本、… (Fried chicken! One piece, two pieces, three pieces,...). Over and over again, but not in a bad way like Lou Reed's songs. Sorry we missed more of their show.
12:50. ?. South. Walked past. They sound like they have potential. I've seen their name on loads of concert fliers back home, but that's about the extent of my exposure. Can anyone verify good/bad?
13:40. Field of Heaven. ハナレグミ(hanaregumi). I've seen him before on Wowow and he sounded okay, like he had a bit of promise. He has thick black, plastic frame glasses and wears those tiny fedoras like Bruce Willis. Hanaregumi's fast songs are pretty good, but the slow ones become especially repetitious and monotonous. Which is not helped by intensely simple lyrics. Granted, that means I can understand what he's saying, but there doesn't seem to be real depth to his songs. I did see him walking around after the show, which is always cool. I think I remember he ordered yakisoba from the solar-powered food booth. He was nice and fairly friendly to his fans, which is always good.
14:20. ?. Múm. Very weird. Very experimental. They're great background music, but not active enough for a stage show. The songs progress slowly and the band members don't really do anything so there is little to stimulate the concert-goer either aurally or visually (esp. on an outdoor stage at 2pm with no chairs, etc. when it's pretty hot out). But I do like them! I just don't think they're cut out for arena tours or whatever. A club with chairs and tables and drinks would be fine.
15:40. Green Stage. The Libertines. Went to see them because Nate went last year and recommended them. But, honestly, I found them so-so. They were rockin', yeah, but I wasn't feeling it. Nothing distinctive or particularly interesting or catchy here. Apparently I thought the guitarist was hot.
17:20. ? stage. !!! (My preferred pronunciation being "meow meow meow"). The orange-haired guy apologized as he'd just woken up shortly before. But he did have a cup of coffee... They were fabulous! They're great dance music. I'd go to clubs to dance if they played live music like this. Slightly experimental and often very amusing with lyrics like, "Shit, scheisse, merde!" Very fun.
19:10. Green Stage. The White Stripes. I enjoyed them, despite feeling sketchy about seeing them. Jack White definitely had gained some weight! But very rockin'. The highlight was their cover of "Jolene." You know how Jack's doing/did that collaborative work with Loretta Lynn... I have never heard the original version, but this was very expressibe and interesting version that I'd like to hear again.
We had to leave immmediately after the White Stripes to catch a train back to Kyoto so we could make it to classes the next morning (we skipped on Friday), so we missed a couple shows I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to see. We missed the second Belle and Sebastian show, the second !!! show, and the Morrissey show.
BUT!!!!, turns out Morrissey had actually cancelled for Morrissey reasons and it was actually a Morrissey impersonator (wtf!). I saw him from the window of the shuttle bus, and he was wearing red and white and went onstage a bit early. How weird that they'd get an impersonator! Morrissey was still listed on all the schedules as playing (I guess not the internet, though, as I've heard).
Overall, I had a great time. Would bring my waist pack next time, as backpack got a little sore. We ate so many peanut butter sandwiches it was ridiculous. And there were tons of people and tons of mud, as expected of any music festival. Depending on the lineup, highly recommended!
" I have never heard the original version, but this was very expressibe and interesting version that I'd like to hear again. "
ReplyDeleteDamn, girl. You're forgetting English. B does not equal V. There is no letter "bwee." To hell with them all.